Pages

Sunday 16 November 2014

Day 4: Be Independent and Enjoy Life!

It was Monday!
Busy day!
Start the real daily life in Australia!
Really excited!

It was my first time to catch bus in Australia. Actually, Sunshine Coast doesn't have that much public transportation. So, I was a little bit nervous but the driver greeting made me so comfort! "Hi! How are you!" (See! Simple greeting makes real impact! AGAIN!) 

I tapped my card on the machine, and it showed that it's insufficient. I asked the driver how I could do top up for my card. He said that I could give the cash money, and he recharged it. Then, ready to go!

I looked around in the bus, tried to find the map so I could predict when I had to stop. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it. Ah, I started miss Transjakarta. Hmm, I had to asked someone. A young woman helped me in the bus and she told me where I could stop. 

After 45 minutes, I arrived at my destination. I got surprised along the trip because everyone who stepped down always say "Thank you, and have a great day!" to the driver and the driver REPLIED! Again! I was impressed! In my life time, I found it as a very rare experience. Well, some people say thanks to the public transportation. Some drivers reply, some don't. Yet, I find it consistent habit in Australia. Amazing!

With a wonderful feeling, I went to the cinema to join one of University of Third Age activities. I love their motto: Never stop learning! We were going to watch a movie "This is where I leave you." I waited for the the PIC for an hour, and when the movie was about to start, she texted me "Go into the movie, we meet afterwards" Haiyaaahh!! I thought that the group would buy the ticket together. I got wrong! Sue, the PIC told me that they usually buy the ticket by themselves and meet after the movie ended. Culture shock! In Indonesia, I used to buy the ticket together if we are in a group. Hmm, really independent, isn't/ So, everyone is responsible of him/herself. No one will be late because of waiting other people. Nice lesson!

We went to a cafe to discuss about the movie. Actually, the movie was about complicated family story. All of the family member had different story. One of them got divorced because the wife cheated with the husband's boss, one of them tried so hard to have kids, one of them had a complicated relationship with his personal therapist, one of them became lesbian after the husband passed away. COMPLICATED! (at least for me). They said that it might be unrealistic for my culture (Indonesia) but it happens in Australia and America. Yeah, I forgot that I had to be broadminded.

One nice lesson I got from the movie is:
"Sometimes we are too busy looking for a perfect life and we don't really feel loved. But in fact, life is not perfect, sometimes irrational and complicated. So, be gratitude and love your life."
Oh, I tell you about the U3A member I met on the meeting. They are really independent! They are all about 65 years old and retired. Sue, the PIC, she uses 2 walking sticks, but she drives by herself! Kyaaaa!!! Not only Sue. Sandra and other women also drives by themselves. Impressive! They said that they had to be.

The conversation went nicely, we talked about the film, I also told them why I were in Australia. They were impressed with the purpose of this homestay program about learning about totally different culture and promote about sharing in diversity. One of the lady told me that she was a Baha'i and she invited me to Baha'i community (I'll write about it later). Oh my God! I was really excited!

At the end of the meeting, they talked about what they felt when they lost their husband. Yeah, most of them are widow. They said that they felt rejected and angry when they husband died before them, and they need quite long time to bounce back. They were angry because the husband left them first. So, in this group, they are also like a support group to each another. They looked very enjoy this group. I think Indonesia also need this kind of organization that help elderly people to keep learning and enjoy their life.







No comments:

Post a Comment