Pages

Sunday 6 March 2016

A bookseller happiness

"You might be not rich, but you are happy!"

It was the first response of Mairwen when I told her that having a bookshop like hers is one of my dream. Mairwen is a Welsh woman that lives near to Beaumaris Castle, Angelsey-Wales. Bookshops always become an attraction for me where ever I go around this world. Thus, I automatically came in her bookshop when I walked around the city. 

I scanned the books on the shelves and found a compilation story of Hans Christian Anderson with special illustration from William Heath Robinson. I was doubting at first, but after had a nice conversation with Mairwen, finally I decided to take it home. 

Mairwen is very passionate about books. She told me many recommended books about Wales' fairy tales. She said Wales stories mostly are combination of history, myths, and fairy tales. So when you read the story, you can find the setting on the map. Currently, she is interested in anthropology related books. She found a book that tells actually we can find many stories from over the world have similarities and they look like connected. Thus, we should not be afraid of meeting new people and come to new place, since in other part of this world, people may have same stories with us. 

"I always feel happy, when those little kids come to my shop and find the book they like and excitingly told the parents....you know...that feeling!"

Obviously, she is very in to what she is doing! 

"By the way, where do you get all these books? I asked"

"Ah....many ways!" She said.

"Some are mine that I collect from many years. Some people know that I like books, and they asked me if I want to have their mother's old books...." she continued.

"But, I know where my books go. I know they go to right people" she finished.

I still wanted to listen to her story, but I had to go back to Manchester again. I was grateful that I got the Hans Christian Anderson book and a book of Wales' fairy tales with a very good price! More than that, I met Mairwen who taught me "You might not be rich, but you are happy!"




1 comment:

  1. Hi Kak... Aku baca tulisan kakak... What an interesting ! seperti biasa, selalu mengakhiri ceritamu dengan sebuah nilai yang sarat makna.. keep sharing and inspiring ya :) Salam dari Indonesia... :)

    ReplyDelete