Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robbin S. Sharma


Source
The surest thing in voluntary activity is you won't get money, but you will get more than it, I have proven it! I got this book from volunteering activity. Last year, I helped the Drive Books Not Cars event to sort the second-hand books donation. As the bonus, the volunteers were allowed to choose the books they were interested in before they were sold in Drive Books Not Cars bazaar in eX Plaza, Jakarta, the next day. Oh, I couldn't miss this opportunity. I dug into those pile of books and chose 10 among 6000 books. Surprisingly, they billed me Rp.100.000,- only for all those books! It was like finding a treasure! Moreover, the content of the books are enlightening!


This book is a story about an amazing success litigator (lawyer) named Julian  Mantle and written from John's point of view, a friend who learns from Julian's wisdom. He was tough, hard-driving and willing to work eighteen-hour days for the success he believed was his destiny (John). After years of damn-workaholic lifestyle, Julian got a heart attack in a courtroom. He was about to die. This experience became a turning point for Julian to re-think about his life. Then, he sold his ferrari and went to Himalaya to learn from a sage who lives there. 

Every page brings lessons, so I suggest you not to finish it at once. Enjoy every part of it, and re-think after you finish the part. Maybe, there are principles in this books that contradict with yours. Take your time to think. Like Julian said:
But remember, some books are meant to be tasted, some books are meant to be chewed and, finally, some books are meant to be swallowed whole.
Me, my self got enormous amount of wisdom in this books, and make me think.
Some of my favorite quotes of this book:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens." 
"We might not be able to control the weather or the traffic or the moods of all those around us. But, we most certainly can control our attitude towards these events." 
"Your I can is more important than your I.Q" 
"There are no mistakes in life, only lessons. Even pain can be a wonderful teacher." 
"I have had dreams and I have had nightmares. I overcame the nightmares because of my dreams (Jonas Salk)"
"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master." 
" Your passion must, in some way, improve or serve the lives of others." 
"By the time most people figure out what they really want and how to go about attaining it, it's usually too late."
Many more nourishing food for your mind is served in this book. I highly recommend you to taste and chew this book. At the end, you are the one who decide if you will swallow it or not :)


"Books do not actually teach you anything new. 
Books simply help you to see what is already within your self.
That's what enlightenment is all about"
(The Monks Who Sold His Ferrari)

No comments:

Post a Comment